On Wednesday May 17 we will go as a group on a daytrip. Our main feature is to visit the Xochicalco archeological site, and a short visit to Cuernavaca, Morelos State's capital.
This page is still very preliminary, I just didn't want to leave it empty or with stale information.
Located in South-Western Morelos state, 38Km from Cuernavaca. Its name means "in the place where there is a house with flowers". The area is located among a series of hills, as La Bodega, La Malinche and Xochicalco. We will meet a prehispanic fortress and city in the central Mesoamerical highlands. We will visit the famous building devoted to Quetzalcóatl, the feathered snake, several ball game courts, an astrological observatory.
Xochicalco is one of the most ancient and best preserved archeological sites in Mesoamerica, with buildings dating from 650 a.d. and is the largest site in Mexico. It was declared World Heritage in 1999. It is unique also because it does not belong to a single culture - Over the centuries, it was used mainly by the Teotihuacan, Mayan, Zapotec, Mixtec and Aztec people.
A beautiful city, capital of Morelos State, and often called Ciudad de la eterna primavera (City of the eternal springtime). It has some of the oldest buildings in America, and it is a favorite vacation place for the Mexico City people. We will quite probably also visit Cuernavaca's large handicraft market, where you will find things from all of Morelos state.
Schedule is not final yet, but should not vary much.
- 10:00-10:30 - Buses and guides arrive to Oaxtepec. Meeting point at the reception.
- 11:00 - Departure towards Xochicalco archeological area
- 13:00 - Arrival to Xochicalco
- 13:00-16:30 - Guided tour in Xochicalco, with a lunchbreak.
- 16:30 - Departure towards Cuernavaca city center
- 17:30-18:30 - (small) guided tour in Cuernavaca city center
- 18:30-19:00 - Handicraft market in Cuernavaca (to be confirmed)
- 19:00 - Departure towards Oaxtepec
- 20:45 - Arrival in Oaxtepec
Debconf attendees are expected to confirm their participation to the day trip by updating the corresponding field in their ?Comas account].
If you want to take with you camera or video camera, you wil lhave to pay 30 pesos at the entrance.