Differences between revisions 11 and 12
Revision 11 as of 2020-05-19 20:11:37
Size: 2177
Editor: DLange
Comment: Specify the decision date
Revision 12 as of 2020-05-21 07:13:29
Size: 1820
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 6: Line 6:
We simply don't know yet. As of March 2020, Israel has forbidden all non-nationals from entering Israel, and all nationals returning must enter 14 days of self-quarantine. As of middle of May, there is hope it will not. Israel has managed to avoid the worst of it, and the country is beginning to open up.
Line 8: Line 8:
The entire country had been under curfew from March 17 to May 3. Schools are now slowly reopening and meetings of up to 20 people are allowed. 50 people groups shall be able to meet from May 17 and the cap is planned to be lifted by June 14 if the infection rates stay low. {{attachment:CoronaIsrael.png}}
Line 10: Line 10:
Still we cannot be sure yet that the conference can take place.
Bear in mind, however, that the conference is still three months away, and we are closely monitoring the situation in Israel and the travel situation.
As of mid-May, international travel is still limited, but the trend seems to point to it resuming, at least with countries that also have the virus under control, toward the middle of June.
Line 13: Line 12:
You can check the [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Israel|Wikipedia entry]] for an update on current measures and the planned "exit strategy". With that said, we still cannot be sure yet that the conference can take place.
Line 15: Line 14:
The planning committee has not yet made any decision, and is working, for the time being, under the assumption that the conference will take place as originally planned. Registration to people who plan on attending, regulation permitting, [[https://debconf20.debconf.org/register|has opened]]. We do ask that you register early, as that will assist us in making a final decision.

Frequently Asked Questions about Debconf 20

Will the Coronavirus Cancel the Conference?

As of middle of May, there is hope it will not. Israel has managed to avoid the worst of it, and the country is beginning to open up.

CoronaIsrael.png

As of mid-May, international travel is still limited, but the trend seems to point to it resuming, at least with countries that also have the virus under control, toward the middle of June.

With that said, we still cannot be sure yet that the conference can take place.

Registration to people who plan on attending, regulation permitting, has opened. We do ask that you register early, as that will assist us in making a final decision.

We have updated our DebConf20 important dates page with the postponed dates for registration opening and the CFP schedule.

When Will Final Decision be Made?

The deadline for deciding on postponing, cancelling or changing the format of the conference is June 8th.

Would the conference be held remotely?

That's a decision that the team would make, at the same time.

The DebConf video team has had some people looking at improving remote attendance in general, for a while. Team members are looking at options to support an entirely remote conference, but these are still in somewhat early stages of development. They are developing BillowConf, a platform for virtual conferences and are in need of developers with Vue, Python or WebRTC experience. Development happens in the #minidebconf-online IRC channel on irc.oftc.net.


CategoryDebConf20