DebConf 2021 bid for Lisbon, Portugal
- DebConf 2021 bid for Lisbon, Portugal
Our proposal is for DebConf21 to take place in Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon because:
- Lisbon is the most affordable European capital.
The organizing team has experience in the organization of international events and has attended previous DebConf.
- Main members of local team work in the IT Department of venue.
- Good working spaces and alternatives inside campus.
- The campus is connected to the national Internet Exchange by a low latency 10Gbit/s link.
The campus offers wide network coverage with wired and WiFi connectivity.
- There is a wide variety of food options inside and around campus including international gastronomy.
- There are many options in accommodations around the campus with different levels of service and price.
- All rooms are equipped with a video projector and the main hall (300 seats) also has a sound system.
- Lisbon is served by an International airport with connections to all continents.
- The venue is centrally located in Lisbon, 15 minutes away from the airport by subway (9/10 stations away).
- Rooms are accessible as required by Portuguese Law.
This will be a guarantee of a smooth and traditional DebConf.
- In Europe
- Tasty food
- Opportunities for social events
- Kick start local Free Software community
- Beautiful and sunny weather
- One of the Portuguese Engineering Schools with over 100 years of history
- Grand Hall (Salão Nobre) with 300 seats
- 2 Auditoriums with 100 seats each
- Several class rooms with 30 or 60 seats for Hacklabs and the Organization
- Several vegan and vegetarian options
- Traditional Portuguese food
- Good (inexpensive!) espresso coffee
- Several student restaurants inside the venue
- Multi-cultural restaurants near the venue
- Pleasantly warm, dry and clear blue skies}
- Several hotels, hostels and guest houses nearby
- For the 2020 bid we found accommodation for 350 sponsored people
- Most airlines have direct flights to Lisbon
- Several low cost companies also fly to Lisbon
- Direct Subway (9/10 stops) from the Airport to venue
- Portugal in Schengen space
- Most attendees won't need a visa
Cheese and Wine Import
- Wine and beer allowed (and very much welcome)
- No food from outside the EU
- Nearby beaches
- Night markets
- Bars and discos
- Music festivals near Lisbon in July and August
- Safe and friendly environment
List can be found at https://www.festivaisverao.com/
- José Calhariz
- A. Fragoso
- L. Guerra e Silva
- Diana Rodrigues
- M. Torrinha
- J. Nuno Silva
Kanashiro (DebConf19 organizer)
phls (DebConf19 organizer)
Valessio (DebConf19 organizer)
Daniel Lenharo (DebConf19 organizer)
Giovani (DebConf19 organizer)
People interested in helping
Some brazilian DDs and some members of DebConf19 local team
- Portuguese Volunteers
debconf-portugal (a) tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Jose M Calhariz
Gathering dispersed knowledge on Open Source Software namely on Debian and concentrate in efficient and collaborative teams is one of my insights for wanting this Debconf in Portugal. First to get the global community to know this beautiful country and second to take the local (country) community "...Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before"... aiming to "Debian where to now ....(future)"
Being a long time Debian user, and open-source software supporter, I would be most happy to help bring DebConf to Portugal.
Will be part of a collaborative teamwork with the ability to multitask in an English-speaking environment. I feel perfectly at home liaising the accommodation, conference dinner, special rooms, catering and keeping close contact with the venue’s management. My goal in participating is to help make Debian 2021 happen in a welcome and multicultural environment for all.
I will be working with Ana Fragoso and will be assisting with all work needed with the accommodation, conference dinner and catering, as well as any facilities management. Will also be able to give the Treasurer any backup necessary.