DebConf 2020 bid for Lisbon, Portugal
Our proposal is for ?DebConf20 to take place in Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon because:
- Lisbon is the most affordable European capital
- The organizing team has experience in the organization of
international events and has attended previous DebConf.
- Main members of local team work in the IT Department of venue.
- Good working spaces and alternatives inside campus.
- The campus is connected to the national Internet Exchange by a
- low latency 10Gbit/s link.
The campus offers wide network coverage with wired and WiFi connectivity.
- There is a wide variety of food options inside and around campus
- including international gastronomy.
- There are many options in accommodations around the campus with
- different levels of service and price.
- All rooms are equipped with a video projector and the main hall (300
- seats) also has a sound system.
- Lisbon is served by an International airport with connections to all
- The venue is centrally located in Lisbon, 15 minutes away from
- the airport by subway (10 stations away).
- Rooms are accessible as required by Portuguese Law.
This will be a guarantee of a smooth and traditional DebConf.
Sunny and pleasant days
Plenty of opportunities for social events
Help stimulating the local Free Software community
Best Engineering School of Portugal with more than 100 years of history
Grand Hall (Salão Nobre) with 300 seats
2 Auditoriums with 100 seats each
Several class rooms with 30 or 60 seats for Hacklabs and the Organization
Several options for vegan and vegetarian
Portuguese Traditional Food: Cozido a Portuguesa, Carne de Porco a Alentejana, Prego, Bacalhau com Natas, Pasteis de Nata
Good coffee espressos or “bica”
Several canteens inside the venue
Restaurants near the venue: Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Brazilian, Indian and Vegetarian
The summer will be hot and dry with Blue Sky, Little chance of grey sky or rain.
Bars and Discos
Music festivals near Lisbon in July and August, Festivals season across Portugal
List can be found at https://www.festivaisverao.com/
Core Team: Jose M Calhariz, Prof. Luis Guerra e Silva, Prof. Joao Nuno Oliveira e Silva, Simão Martins, Rita Severo, Samuel Bernardo, Ana Fragoso, Marco Cerdeira. Salvador Abreu (spa), Pedro Ribeiro, Rui Branco (ruipb).
People interested in helping: zumbi?, enkelenaH, phls, Valessio, Kanashiro, Madlene, Spanish and Brazilian DDs, indiebio (pending being able to spend time in Europe),
Jose M Calhariz
Gathering dispersed knowledge on Open Source Software namely on Debian and concentrate in efficient and collaborative teams is one of my insights for wanting this Debconf in Portugal. First to get the global community to know this beautiful country and second to take the local (country) community "...Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before"... aiming to "Debian where to now ....(future)"
Being a long time Debian user, and open-source software supporter, I would be most happy to help bring DebConf to Portugal.
Will be part of a collaborative teamwork with the ability to multitask in an English-speaking environment. I feel perfectly at home liaising the accommodation, conference dinner, special rooms, catering and keeping close contact with the venue’s management. My goal in participating is to help make Debian 2020 happen in a welcome and multicultural environment for all.
I will be working with Ana Fragoso and will be assisting with all work needed with the accommodation, conference dinner and catering, as well as any facilities management. Will also be able to give the Treasurer any backup necessary.