Table of contents:
What is Citrix Workspace?
Citrix Workspace has a proprietary license.
Citrix Workspace is a digital workspace software platform developed by Citrix Systems that allows multiple users to remotely access and operate Microsoft Windows desktops running in a datacenter or a public or private cloud, via devices located elsewhere.
The client works with Citrix environments only.
How to install Citrix Workspace on Buster
In 2018, Citrix Receiver was replaced by the Citrix Workspace application.
Step 1: Download the official Citrix Workspace app
Download the official Citrix Workspace app for Debian available here
Scroll down to "Debian Packages" then select "Full Packages (Self-Service Support) additionally download "USB Support Packages"
Step 2: Install Citrix Workspace
Install Citrix Workspace and USB Support Packages using apt as root (or with sudo).
$ sudo apt install ./icaclient_<PRESS TAB> to autocomplete $ sudo apt install ./ctxusb_<PRESS TAB> to autocomplete
Step 3: Download your Employers CA Certificates
The following steps provide guidance on downloading CA certificates from your employer and using the ctx_rehash tool.
Step 3a: Download CA Certificates in PEM format Download CA certificates in PEM format. Save the certificate with .crt file extension.
Step 3b: Copy certificates to cacerts
- Switch to root user (or use sudo) and copy the .crt CA certificate file to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/ folder.
Step 3c: Create a Symbolic Link
Create a symbolic link from the mozilla certificates to Citrix's cacerts directory:
$ sudo ln -s /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/
Step 4: Citrix Rehash
Run the following command as root (or via sudo) for the ctx_rehash utility:
$ sudo /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash
Step 5: Launch Citrix Workspace app
Launch the Citrix Workspace app and log in to your employers environment!
Previous Citrix Workspace and Receiver Steps on older Debian Versions
Installing icaclient_19 on Stretch
$ sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 $ sudo dpkg -i icaclient_220.127.116.11_amd64.deb
Installing icaclient_19 on Buster
Installing icaclient_20 on Buster
In 2018, Citrix Receiver was replaced by Citrix Workspace app. Download the official Citrix Workspace app for Debian available here and install it using apt install ./icaclient_*.deb as root (or with sudo). You do not, in my experience, need to install anything from stretch. You will (I assume) need the dependencies in citrix's .deb - on my gnome installation they were already installed
Citrix's packaging is not high quality, for example:
- files are installed in /opt;
- there are multiple statically linked files;
- there are multiple embedded libraries;
- the postinst is several scripts pasted together;
- the postinst and makes a number of modifications to your system;
- the postinst attempts to integrate with netscape;
- the postinst installs a plugin for either gstreamer1.0 or 0.10.0 depending on which version it finds installed (there are comments in the postinst that say 0.10 is preferred, but in my experience it works fine with 1.0);
- the postinst deletes files in $HOME for every user.
These deficiencies apply to all versions from (at least) 13 to 20.