aptitude is a ["Ncurses"] terminal and CLI (command line interface) -based apt ["frontend"] with a number of useful features, including:
- a mutt-like syntax for matching packages in a flexible manner
mark packages as "automatically installed" or "manually installed" so that packages can be auto-removed when no longer required
- colorful preview of actions about to be taken
- dselect-like persistence of user actions
- the ability to retrieve and display the Debian changelog of most packages
- ["AptCLI"]-like (= apt-get + apt-cache) command line mode ("aptitude install foo")
aptitude is also Y2K-compliant, non-fattening, naturally cleansing, and housebroken.
- Type aptitude in a ["terminal"]
After running it, utilize:
- F10 to access to the menu and use aptitude. This is the main key.
- ? for help