Ampache is a music server. Currently ampache is available in stable, testing and unstable.
In order to install Ampache on Lenny, follow these instructions (synaptic can be used in place of apt-get)
apt-get install mysql-server-5.0 (optional, not needed if you have mysql-server already installed) apt-get install ampache
If you want some Ampache eye candy
apt-get install ampache-themes
Now set up a mysql "user" account that has global privileges. I use phpmyadmin (much easier), or you can use the command line.
Now point your browser to
Follow the web install instructions
In order to install Ampache on Etch, follow these instructions
- We need apache and php. If this is not installed we need to install it. do "apt-cache policy apache2" to see if it is installed. (apache 1 will work too)
apt-get install apache2 apt-get install php5 php5-mysql php5-gd
- Download ampache and extract it
wget http://www.ampache.org/downloads/current.tar.gz tar -xzvf current.tar.gz
- Move the extracted ampache folder to the correct folder (change the version number to match yours):
mv ampache-3.3-beta4 /usr/local/bin/ampache cd /usr/local/bin/ampache
- Change permissions so the apache server can read ampache files
chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/local/bin/ampache
- Create and edit ampache file for apache(the webserver). This will tell apache2 about ampache: "/etc/apache2/conf.d/ampache":
Alias /ampache "/usr/local/bin/ampache/" <directory /> DirectoryIndex index.php index.html Options Indexes MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny Allow from all </directory>
* Optional, you could change Alias from /ampache "/usr/local/bin/ampache/" to something like
Alias /musiclover "/usr/local/bin/ampache/"
- Restart apache
- Now apache needs mysql. If you have one go to next step. Otherwise install it:
apt-get install mysql-server
- Almost done. Now go to this link and follow directions.(enter your database password and press install.)
- Done. Enjoy
- When you add music. www-data needs to be able to read your music. So you need to add www-data to group permissions. This can be done by:
chgrp -R www-data /path/to/mymusic/*
- or in my case i created group users
addgroup users chgrp -R users path/to/mymusic/* adduser www-data users
- Done. Ampache uses around 20kb of bandwith per stream per user.