How many times have you used wiki.debian.org this week? www.debian.org? If you can't remeber the last time you saw the Debian homepage, but you pound on RecentChanges hourly, this DebConf6 BoF is for you.
Forming a WikiJanitor team to keep things neat and tidy around here.
- Content licensing issues
Improving the FrontPage usability.
- Categorising page quality (ie, stubs, feature articles, development pages)
- What should move from www.debian.org to here? From here to www.debian.org?
The BoF was held on Sunday May 14th.
Currently still in semi-rough note form, feel free to expand and add anything I missed. --JoeyHess
Licencing: Tag all existing pages in this wiki with LicenceUnknown. New pages and page edits should be licenced under a license as close to public domain (or BSD) as possible. Rewritten pages or pages whose authors accept the new licensing can remove the LicenseUnknown tag.
The way we did this on the koumbit wiki is to:
create a WikiLicense page
create a CategoryWikiLicenseException for pages that want to escape the blanket policy
create a WikiLicenseExceptionTemplate page to ease life for people that want to switch So I would do it the other way: all the pages would fall under the WikiLicense by default and people can switch if they want to... Of course, this is a legal problem for existing pages.. hmm... -- TheAnarcat 2006-05-15 01:56:40
- User authentication: Ubuntu's wiki is integrated with launchpad for centralised user management, it would be nice if alioth IDs == wiki accounts.
- the todo list, more dynamic parts of port pages, etc should be moved from www.debian.org to the wiki.
- immutable pages on the wiki are better moved to the website.
- it would be good if www.debian.org could link to the wiki more. A link on the front page, and targeted links.
WikiManintainer team: A team should be formed for wiki maintainers, this should have its own lists.debian.org list and pseudopackage for the wiki in the BTS. This is the most important consequence of the BoF.
- debian-news.net on wiki: damog wants to add news items from debian-news.net to the wiki so there is some news info on the front page
- alioth integration: alioth projects should have a well-defined namespace and templates on the wiki
- List of recipes for new page types/templates for page creators to refer to.
- Use ACLs to allow for semi-official (release team etc) pages to be on the wiki instead of www.debian.org, while still being semi-locked down.
- A package of debian wiki helper tools would be nice, with things like irc topic updaters, irc and mail to wiki markup translators, etc.
Offer for help
This is probably not a great place to mention that, but since this hasn't been discussed much yet, I, FilipusKlutiero, volunteer to help as a WikiJanitor/WikiGnome, and to help with the content licensing issues. I wish to deal with licensing first, though. Unfortunately, I don't know Python, am not skilled in HTML, so overall I don't have much technical skills to help with the first point. I am willing to learn Python, if my free time allows me to. I am not participating to DebConf. I can reasonably spend an average of 5 hours per week on this project.