Utilities for Debian Pure Blends
Description: In the DebianPureBlends effort several tools are developed for several reasons: On one hand there are the web tools to provide a reasonable overview for users about the packages which are supported by the Blend as well as developer oriented bugs pages. These tools are making quite successful use of UDD but there are several further ideas who to enrich UDD with more data and present them on the Blends pages. On the other hand the code which build Blends metapackages is needing a rewrite to use UDD as well to enable features like architecture dependant dependency resolving and others. This task is attractive for students because it is an interesting application of a former successful SOC project (UDD).
- Use UDD information to build the debian/control file of the source package of a Blend and thus enable architecture dependant metapackages with blends-dev
Rework the menu system respecting task file information to enable a Blend specific menu using FreeDektop.Org standards
Inject data about backports.org, i18n applications (http://i18n.debian.net/material/data/), package entropy tracker (PET), WNPP into UDD and use this data on Tasks pages
- Find a reasonable way to move the content of Blends tasks files into UDD. This would add a further layer of abstraction and makes creation of the tasks and bugs pages even more simple.
- Inter-Blend relations For instance if science-biology depends from med-bio resolve the dependencies of med-bio and lilst these on the science-biology tasks page instead of just med-bio etc.
- Handling dependencies of libraries save against version changes. If a library undergoes a version change it is currently not found by the Blends tools any more. Similarly but perhaps even harder to handle are packages with explicite version numbers (octave, posgresql, etc.)
- If the tasks file contains information about a prospective package (not yet official Debian package but a DD is working in Vcs on packaging stuff) this info should be parsed and used for the tasks pages (and perhaps the Blends UDD information updated accordingly) (hint Package Entropy Tracker)
- Implementing a link checker to make sure all information on the tasks pages is correct. It might be reasonable to check any link in UDD and let tasks pages simply profit from the verified links.