What is iceweasel?
Iceweasel is a fork [from Firefox] with the following purpose :
backporting of security fixes to declared Debian stable version.
- no inclusion of trademarked Mozilla artwork (because of #1 above)
Beyond that, they will be basically identical. (quoting Roberto C. Sanchez post in debian-devel mailing list)
How to install Iceweasel (Firefox)
Iceweasel can be installed from the Debian repository with
aptitude install iceweasel #(it provides mozilla-firefox)
and native language versions such as iceweasel-l10n-fr are also available.
The plugin directory is
while Debian-based xul-ext plugins can be found at
for more info on iceweasel plugins, refer to the plugins section of the Mozilla page.
User Agent String
IceWeasel's user agent strings (at the time of writing... ) is :
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:10.0.7) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.7 Iceweasel/10.0.7 DebianWheezy (as of 2012-09-20)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110323 Iceweasel/3.5.16) DebianSqueeze
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; fr; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/2009061212 Iceweasel/3.0.6 (Debian-3.0.6-1) DebianLenny
Some application are checking the browser's user agent string, which prevent you from accessing the site. You can change the user agent string manually or with the User Agent Switcher plugin.
You can use the User Agent Switcher plugin, then download a UA profile :
This is a resource where you can get the latest iceweasel release which would eventually make it way into Debian's experimental, unstable and finally to testing and then stable. Usually the releases make their way to Debian unstable and then go downwards while the beta versions are released to experimental. Most of the aurora releases can be found at the mozilla.debian.net repo.
You can also connect with the Debian-mozilla maintainers via the mailing list as well as on IRC via #debian-mozilla on irc.oftc.net.
SSL / Secure Connection warning
Secure Connection Failed XXXX uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed. The certificate is only valid for 00:16:b6:82:73:60 (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)
Customizing the default profile
The files that are copied to ~/.mozilla/firefox/ when creating a new Iceweasel profile (when the browser is run the first time, or by using the -P command-line option) may be found in /etc/iceweasel/profile/. These files will populate the new profile with default settings, extensions and much more.
- My iceweasel is consistently crashing on a website
- First run iceweasel without loading any extensions or plugins and see if the problem persists. This can be done by using the -safe-mode option
MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 iceweasel -safe-mode
- If the problem goes away, then it means that one of the installed extensions is the root cause of the problem. If not then read on!
- Create a new user and try to reproduce the problem on the new user's account.
- If there is no problem with iceweasel on new user's account, chances are that your ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory is corrupt.
- In order to see if the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ is infact corrupt or not, move it to some other directory and start iceweasel again
mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/old_firefox iceweasel &
- If the problem goes away, well and good. Otherwise you can ask for help on debian-user mailing list by providing all the relevant information like "the way to reproduce the crash", "the version of iceweasel you are using", and "the distribution you are using" etc., Finally, if you are confident that it is a bug in the iceweasel package please consider filing a bug against iceweasel package.
Unsupported Browser Error
- In order to browse websites like mlsni.net which allows firefox but not iceweasel, you'll need to change the user agent string of your browser. Look at the section "User Agent String" on how to change the user agent string.