BoF Meeting at DebConf / (EDI)
Attendants and Dates
- Miriam Ruiz: 14th (16:15) - 24th (09:05)
- Cyril Brulebois: 16th - 24th
- Alexander Schmehl: 21st - 22nd
- Eddy Petrișor: 16th - 23rd
- Sam Hocevar: 16th-23rd
- Gonéri Le Bouder: 17th - 23rd
- Moritz Muehlenhoff 18th-23
(Fuddl; won't be on DebConf, but would like to attend online if possible)
(tarzeau; won't be on DebConf, but would like to attend online if possible)
Video-Streams should be available via http://streams.video.debconf.org:8000/ ; discussion can be "proxied" via #debconf-lowerbofs or #debconf-upperbofs on irc.debian.org.
- 22nd June, 11:00 am
- Make it easier to find the games for end users.
- Be more game developer friendly
- game development tools (like gtkradiant .. there exist many tools, no? i mean all the music composing software, the graphics editing, 3d modelling...)
- Attract users' attention, if games are easy to extend (building own maps, models, etc.)
- Maybe create a own Wiki page for development and link it on the end user page
- Suitable licenses for game data: sound, music, video, textures, maps, models and so on.
- Attracting artists to the group (to FLOSS in general)
- Find a solution for the problem that some games (like quake and doom), which may not be legally given away to people under 18 years in some countries (at least in Germany).
- Some german vendors now need to remaster the DVDs / CDs, so they can still sell Debian without doing an adult check.
- Easiest solution would be to have them all on one CD, so the german vendors can just omit it.
- Retake the idea of finding a way to classify games:
- We shouldn't just be thinking about what disqualifies packages but also about those things that appeal to kids when we think about "suitable for children".
- Discuss possible solutions for the games with enormous amounts of data.
- Is it worth having the data in the repositories? A single game could mean 1 CD more in the distribution.
- Upgrades: Ways of handling updates so that users do not have to download 300 Mb each time something is changed.
- Possibility of using the data from inside an external drive (CD, DVD) instead of having to install them in the HD
- Other distribution means: repositories not mirrored ( data.debian.org ? ), torrent, etc.
see http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/06/msg00273.html as reference
- Find / discuss release goals for "Lenny"
- e.g. debtags for all packages, quilt for the last dpatch packages, svn-url in description header, etc.
- more game specific policies: must have desktop file, must have menu file
- more automatic tests: e.g. rebuilds
- Decide how to handle i18n of games, if it is possible.
- Develop a clear policy regarding copyright infringement in games:
- What aspects of a game does copyright cover?
- Remakes of games. How are they affected?
- What do we consider similar enough to copyright protected stuff in a game?
- What kind of things should be replaced in a game to solve that?
- Sponsoring issues
- How to improve the current status
- Create our own repository?
- Backporting vs. Setting up Debian stable game servers (by Fuddl)
- Problem: some games have incompatible network protocols among even slightly differing versions
- Suggestions: Backport (backports.org) them vs. setting up servers dedicated to debian stable users vs. $OTHER_IDEAS?
- If it's just a protocoll change: Why not volatile.debian.org?
- automaticaly forward game related RFS from the mentors list to devel-games?
Topics to Discuss
- Set up a policy for Game Packaging
- Desktop, menu, watch files and icons / Decision
- Big Data Chunks: Repositories and Upgrades / Notification of a Problem
- Quality Assurance
- Automatic tests / Decision
- Backports / Discussion
- Notification of bugs filed against Ubuntu to the Debian Games Team / Decision
- Make it easier to find games
- Web page for users / Discussion
- GUI tool / Future Plans
- Screenshots / Future Plans
- Improve the Support for Developers
- Game Development Tools / Discussion
- Attract Users Attention on the Extensibility of Games / Discussion
- Legal Stuff
- Suitable Licenses for Media Data / Notification of a Problem
- Policy regarding Trademark Issues / Notification of a Problem
- Remakes of games / Notification of a Problem
- What to do about games that can not be legal in certain countries / Discussion
- Classify Games
To find them more easily (DebTags) / Discussion
- To the technical requirements to play a game / Future Plans
- To clarify the skills needed to play a game / Future Plans
- Moral classification / Future Plans
- Sponsoring Issues
- Improve Current Status / Discussion
- Own Repository / Discussion
- Forward Game Related RFS from the Mentors List to devel-games / Discussion
- How to Handle i18n Stuff / Notification if a Problem
- Define the goals and wishlist for Lenny / Discussion
- Other Stuff
- Logo for the Team
- How to Attract Artists
- Replacement of Not Redistributable Stuff