To have a completely DFSG free install of Debian on the Eee PC, we need support for the Atheros AR5007/2425 wireless chipset in the Eee. While some early work is being done on that by Nick Kossifidis, it is not ready yet.
Your options today, then, are:
- Do without wireless entirely
- Use a wireless USB dongle supported by DFSG free drivers
- Replace the internal wireless card with one that is supported by DFSG free drivers
- Help the ath5k project finish the work on ath5k
- From this, I gather the ath5k project would benefit from the donation of an Eee for development.
- Regarding ath5k proposed testbed for sharing of hardware amongst developers.
- Latest status of testing 2425 support
- Nick Kossifidis' patches (not working yet)
- Jeff Moe's random collection of Eeepc notes, drivers, and scripts. Emphasis on building completely free eee.