Select Stable "Squeeze" installer or Oldstable "Lenny"
Newer models are supported by Squeeze and older by both Squeeze and Lenny. For more details, see the wiki page for your ../../Model. If your model isn't listed, Debian may still work on it. Check the pages for models with similar specifications and/or contact us.
Note: even if you do have an older model that works with Lenny, there are many advantages to using Squeeze, which was released February 6th, 2011.
Stable "Squeeze" system using the standard installer:
Download the Squeeze netinst ISO image from http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ . Choose either i386 or amd64, depending on your model
- Using an empty USB device, dd the image (yes, that's right, our new ISO hybrid images can be dd'd directly to the device)
# dd if=debian-*-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdX # where sdX is the device your USB media is using
- Reboot and boot the netbook from the USB drive
- If your installer freezes after hitting "install", just hit "help" in the main installer menu, hit enter, wait 30 seconds and then enter again... this should work
Oldstable "Lenny" system using the standard installer:
Download the Lenny netinst ISO image from http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/
Download boot.img.gz from http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
- Using an empty USB device, do
# zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdX # where sdX is the device your USB media is using
- Mount the USB device (i.e. /dev/sdX, not /dev/sdX1) and copy the netinstall ISO image to it.
- Reboot and boot netbook the USB drive
Updated Lenny backports d-i *Use at own risk* : http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
Note: If the installer does not find the ISO image, you may try to use http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz , the standard Lenny boot image with the ISO linked above.
- Boot the Eee PC using the USB device (press ESC during boot; if this fails to bring up a device menu, press F2 during boot, disable "Boot Booster" in the BIOS and retry)
- Follow the installer instructions.
- Install the eeepc-acpi-scripts package for best results (additional hotkey support, etc. not provided out of the box with base Debian install).
Wifi drivers status (Squeeze)
The kernel in Squeeze should already include a wifi driver for your model, except as indicated in ../../Models where no driver is yet available in Debian, so our repository is no longer needed.
Wifi drivers status (Lenny)
Some prebuilt debs are provided for older models in Lenny at eeepc.debian.net for your convenience. If you use an updated kernel (backport), this is not necessary, as newer kernels contain the necessary drivers.
Add our repository and do an apt-get update after that.
Install the appropriate wifi driver for your model. Consult the page for your model linked from ../../Models for details.
After installing the base system and wifi drivers, you may need to configure the system for wifi, webcam, hotkeys, etc. to work. On Squeeze, some of these steps may no longer be necessary.