Debian Edu Wheezy
Wheezy is frozen and maybe we can just do a status quo release of Debian Edu Wheezy now?!
- During an Debian Edu installation sometimes (depending on language and moon phase settings) there is a debconf question from dictionaries-common about setting the default dictionary.
- note that the wheezy build uses the debian-edu package source in svn for squeeze. ie the packages added for wheezy do not make it to the dvd when we start to build dvds. this should be fixed (so that the wheezy build uses the packages from the svn wheezy branch and this needs to happen in build/CD-administrator/ somewhere
- artwork should really be updated for wheezy, esp. as gdm was replaced with gdm3, which has no d-e artwork. lightdm (used with desktop-lxde) should get artwork, too.
import feature (ldif and csv) is missing in gosa-plugin-ldapmanager. (698840)
- LTSP: diskless workstations are now using ldm as default display manager. To get the Kerberos TGT (e.g. for mail), kinit has to be executed in a terminal window (homedir access via sshfs, registering the box in GOsa is not needed). Setting DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=/path/to/dm via kernel command line, lts.conf or ldap lets a diskless ws come up the old way.
backup system gui: fails to submit correctly entered root password. (700257)
- if install (dvd or netinst) happens on a box containing more than one NIC, after reboot network interfaces may have a different order. This won't happen if pxe installation is used (once tjener is up and running).
KDE Debian submenu lacks icons (502192). The menu-xdg maintainer do not want to fix it. An alternative is to not install menu-xdg at all, removing the Debian submenu from KDE.
- Netinst CD missing etckeeper, causing error during installation. The package is installed from the net instead, so the error is not fatal.
Status of netinst testing CD
Logs are available at: http://layer-acht.org/debian-edu-wheezy/
- grub logo is the new Joy theme logo. we should try to get Joy+edu theme.
- apt-get update fetches translation updates for several languages despite I just want German
Fixed + done
- main-server used to show problems connecting to sitesummary, because the installer tried to submit to sitesummary even if it was going to become its own sitesummary collector, and thus lacked the receiver end before the installation was done. This no longer happen.
- there was still some squeeze in sources.lists...
- make it easier to use a different IP network - (done for Squeeze already)
- no mandatory login (into KDE) as root) - (done for Squeeze already)
- selecting profile standalone results in an error free install, but the education-standalone package is not installed (nor any other education* package
- same with workstation profile
- maybe this is because recommends are not installed?
- #695726 archive key will expire during wheezy's lifetime
Mostly stuff for Jessie (the release after Wheezy)
- make it easier to use another, already existing, directory server, be it LDAP or AD.
- Include FAI to easily install customized machines (Skolelinux RLP and Musterösung BW use Images (why?), can we do something comparable with FAI?
- Make the installer more flexible. Make it possible to choose KDE/GNOME/all educational packages/Debian default. (Waiting several hours installing Tjener+LTSP seems to scare away testers and developers).
- Continue cleanup. What is left back in our d-e-packages that's not needed anymore? Strip down things to the necessary, we are not able to maintain more. What can and should be addressed in Debian?
- Preconfigured LXDE by default as Thin-Client?
- Preconfigured educational desktop (if chosen in the installer).
- Make it possible to choose LTSP chroot arch (i386/amd64)