Status of the Lenny-based DebianEdu
- 5.0.4+edu0 has been released on February 8th, 2010
- 5.0.6+edu1 has been released on October, 5th 2010.
Debian Edu Lenny is in maintainance mode now, that means only security and critical problems are being fixed. Bugfixes from Debian come in as usual.
Issues for which we still accept fixes
documentation and its translations. Checkout the debian-edu-doc package from svn and run make status, then fix those FIXMEs.
before the release, we need to update the release version numbers in svn://trunk/src/build/CD-administrator/CONF-lenny* and in svn://trunk/src/debian-edu-install/version as well as in svn://trunk/src/debian-edu-install/debian/debian-edu-install.postinst (there the old version needs to be added) - read #1329 for the full story.
Fixed in 5.0.6+edu1
debian-edu-config: several bugfixes, including fixes for Skolelinux bugs #1436, #1427, #1441, #1413, #1450 and Debian bugs #585966, #585772, #585968, #586035 and #585966 plus several which were not filed. Improved Norwegian Bokmål and added Danish debconf translation. Merge new web pages from Squeeze. The text is the same, but it provides new translation for zh, compete translations for all included langauges (de es fr it nb nl ru zh), and a rename of the .no page to .nb to reflect the langauge used. Add ForceType to apache config, to enforce .html.nb pages to text/html and not application/matematica.
- debian-edu-install: Slovak translation added, updates to German, Basque, Italian, Bokmal, Vietnamese and Chinese translations.
- debian-edu-doc: improvements to Italian, Bokmal and German translations as well as overall layout.
- sitesummary: various improvements, most notably several nagios checks where added to monitor system health.
- shutdown-at-night: fix #1435 (did not work with the LDAP host groups populated by lwat)
- debian-edu-artwork: various cleanups
- debian-edu: improve tasksel task to get more useful packages on the DVD
Upgraded packages in detail
debian-edu-config 1.437+lenny+2 1.436 debian-edu-install 1.507+lenny+2 1.506 debian-edu-doc 1.3~20100308~5.0.4+edu1 1.3~20100207~5.0.4+edu0 sitesummary 0.0.62 0.0.58 shutdown-at-night 0.8 0.7 debian-edu-artwork 0.0.30-4 0.0.30-2 debian-edu 0.844+lenny+2 0.844+lenny+1
(The first version is the version in 5.0.6+edu1, while the second is the version in 5.0.4+edu0)
Fixed issues and packages in lenny-test (=not yet in lenny)
Issues which we didnt fix
move http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Lenny#NewFeaturesinLenny into the manual
OCS Inventory server is not installed properly, and the client do not automatically know how to connect to the server #1332.
Browser plugin for multimedia is unable to handle some popular video sites. (pere: FIXED?) (needs list which!)
Some popular flash sites do not work out of the box. (needs list which!) Got a list of test pages on DebianEdu/FlashInDebianEdu.
- Nagios is now configured based on sitesummary data.
- The diskless workstation setup should be enabled by default on thin client servers. This is implemented for the base network PXE menu.
Should be fixed at svn rev.58731, (debian-edu-config >1.427~svn58642)
Installation from DVD of ltspserver-profile stops. #1354
Fixed at /trunk/src/build/CD-administrator/hintpkgs-lenny(-test)?.txt - Rev 58429
Choose debian edu profile in text mode debian-edu expert: non-functional #1315
Works fine for netinstall built 02-08-2009
Squid disk usage is not dynamically scaled to match the partition size available. Hardcoded to 100 MB in the squid.conf file. Should be 90% 80% of disk space, as recommended by squid documentation.
Done at svn rev.58516 (debian-edu-config >1.426~svn58344).
Fixed at svn rev.58503 (debian-edu-config >1.426~svn58343).
pdnsd needs to be configured and bind kicked out. see: DebianEdu/LdapifyServices
- debian-edu-doc: make get-orig-source fails, so no new versions can be build atm.
- installing german standalone installs a belgian kde UI.
Fixed with localization-config >1.03
- LWAT is unable to connet to the LDAP server. Perhaps related to the gnutls issue, or because we use a snake-oil certificate.
Works now. Problem was that the certificate of the ldapserver referenced in ldap.conf (/etc/ldap/ssl...) was not readable by the apache process.
- the profile question is garbled for some languages (eg. german) in the text installer.
Should be fixed with svn-version (needs upload to Debian)
Thin-clients fail to load: "Connection refused" - #1320
the partition sizes generated by the installer are too small, which is worked around by extending partitions during installation, but this lead to fsck on first boot because of a misfeature in online ext3 resizing. a fix is needed to make sure the minimum partition sizes are large enough to avoid resizing during normal installs. #1237
nagios3 - if you upgrade from a previous Debian Edu installation you need to run rm -rf /etc/nagios3/* ; cp -a /etc/nagios2/* /etc/nagios3/ - we need to confirm this actually works in our default setup. #1326
pkgsel failes to install octave cousing a error in the installer, when installing a thin client server profile(perhaps also workstation?) . rerunning the default selected step works. #1330 needs confirmation if still exists!
Installation doesn't find cdrom on SIS5513 IDE-chipset #1339
- drop sugar from expert mode. its not working yet.
exim4-daemon-heavy is missing for mainserver #1343
- installer: tasksel is broken (installing not needed desktop packages) - works (at least in lenny-test)
consolekit is leaking resources, need a oneline patch, http://patch-tracking.debian.net/patch/series/view/consolekit/0.3.0-2/11-unref-dbus-proxy.patch 521651 - this will either go into 5.0.1 or if it doesnt (and only gets into 5.0.2) we can upload a fixed package to our repo. Fixed in 5.0.1 (see bts and p.d.o)
- the shipped and installed Samba schema has been updated
- LWAT now adds required attributes when adding new entries (configured through debian-edu-config)
- We should switch to consolekit instead of obsolete libpam-foreground. Should be fixed, need verification (pere 2009-03-28).
- This is fixed, but we have not yet dropped the libpam-foreground package from our tasks. This should be done to save space.
New Features in Lenny
List is moved to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Features .
Upgrading to Lenny
There are some instructions in the documentation on upgrading an existing system to Lenny. For time being it only contains information on server upgrades.
Though in general Debian Edu doesn't support upgrades and people are advised to reinstall, we try to provide upgrade instructions on a best-effort base. Anyone attempting such an upgrade please contribute to this effort by testing the proposed solutions, fixing these instructions and adding other issues encountered.