How Skolelinux works
A short introduction to how Skolelinux works
"Skolelinux" – a GNU/Linux distribution
Skolelinux is a GNU/Linux distribution. It is put together by various Linux software components, based on Debian. Debian is a state-of-the-art, user-friendly operating system. Our goal is to make Debian easy to install and maintain for schools – with applications available on the student's mother tongue.
Insert the CD, answer three simple questions and watch how Skolelinux unfolds on your server. Behind the scenes of that simple installation, are the results of years of careful configuration and tweaking. Lots of services are installed, configured and ready to run when the installation is completed.
An advanced network solution
Despite how easy Skolelinux is to install, with only three questions asked, it is an advanced network solution, with many pre-configured services. With ordinary, closed, proprietary software, these services have to be configured manually for every single school – and that needs careful planning and expertise!
Amongst several pre-configured services are the following:
- Central user catalogue: One username and one password for several machines and services.
- Central storage: Regardless of which machine you use in a Skolelinux network, you have access to your files and meet an interface with your settings – an interface you are familiar with.
- Thin client solution: The applications are run on a thin client server, which is a powerful machine. The image from those applications is drawn on a "thin client", which usually is an old, cheap machine. This enables you to use old hardware. Moreover, it eases administration, as you have one server to maintain.
- Printers may be shared and made available in the network.
- A proxy server caches files downloaded from the Internet, resulting in a faster surfing experience.
See the overview of a Skolelinux network.
Administration and maintenance
Day-to-day administration and maintenance is done with a web browser – through the Webmin administration interface.
Installation and maintenance of software packages is done through Debian's rock-solid "apt-get" system. At a glance, it enables you to upgrade your entire system with only two commands.
Skolelinux comes with lots of software for school use, and additional software can be easily installed.